Sometimes an organization needs to bring its staff's communication techniques up to speed. Private in-house seminars, customized to your industry's requirements, are a great way to accomplish this.
Affordable half-day, full-day, after-hours or lunch-n-learn classes, taught by this accredited instructor, will cover it all – from writing and editing basics, to brand imaging and persuasive writing techniques, to organizational teamwork in pulling together a multi-page report.
Among many other things, course participants will learn:
- The principles of punctuation, plus when and where to employ such tricky grammatical elements as hyphens, dashes, quotation marks, numerics, serial commas, etcetera (including when to spell out normally abbreviated words, such as "etcetera").
- The benefits – and drawbacks – of both the active and passive voice.
- Sentence construction and syntactical errors. For instance, sentence fragments such as this one.
- How to impart variety, style and persuasion to the written page, making the reader want to read on to the very end.
- The 50 Biggest Little Mistakes You Can Make – common usage errors that can seriously damage one's professional reputation.
Leslie C. Smith is owner/operator of Just Write, Toronto, and teaches a variety of creative and corporate writing courses at the University of Toronto's School of Continuing Studies. Click here to contact her for further information.
“Language is a very difficult thing to put into words.